Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Northeast KY Journey

Sometimes the best discoveries occur when you just pick a road or a direction and GO!!!!  Today's pictures come from June 12, 2010.  On this day, I started in Morehead and drove along Highway 377 (Cranston Road) into Carter County.  I passed Camp Dix and made a left on Highway 474 (Scotts Branch Road).  I came to this Church of Christ while driving.  I took this picture because it looked like the church was on fire due to the fog around the church.  I kept singing in my head...."The church was on fire with the Holy Ghost too."  It had rained earlier that morning, but had stopped raining probably 30 minutes beforehand.  By the time of this picture, it was hazy.  This picture reminds me of a typical country church, especially those in Eastern Kentucky.  I took several pictures in this area as the water at a nearby creek was high.   


The second picture is an outhouse from the same church.  This picture was a fun one to take because it was sooooo....Eastern Kentucky.  I mean, how many churches still use outhouses?



The next picture was taken in Catlettsburg, KY (Boyd County) while walking along Louisa Street.  As mentioned in previous entries, my eyes are drawn to scenes of trees with pictures.  By this time of the day, it was was later in the evening and was overcast.  It added to the feeling of this picture, but giving it a more antique appearance. 


The last picture is from Greenup, KY.  This bridge used to be the primary connector across the stream on Old Highway 23 from the Ohio River.  In looking at this picture, it is very interesting to know that to the left of the bridge is the Ohio River.  The road is closed to Thru Traffic.  The bridge itself was built in 1884 by the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, OH.  As you can tell, this bridge would have been a one lane bridge until the modern route was built going around Greenup.

No comments:

Post a Comment