Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Country Roads

Today's pictures come from Lincoln and Boyle Counties.  The theme as you can tell is Country Roads.  On this day, July 31 2010, I drove from London to Bardstown to meet up with my friend Stephanie.  This was a HOT day.  She took me to a couple of sites that day (Old Kentucky Home and Gethsemane), which pictures may be posted on here in the future.  The first picture was taken before Crab Orchard (Lincoln County).  I would never suggest taking a picture whlie you are driving, but as you see the amish buggie was in front of me and I had to wait for an oncoming vehicle.  I took this picture in black and white originally.

The next picture was taken on Wilderness Road (KY 1369) in Lincoln County outside of Crab Orchard.  The interesting thing about this picture is that at one time this was the main road from Crab Orchard to Stanford.  If you look at a map, you can tell that on the other side of this body of water is the other road.  Basically, the road is underneath this lake/river...not too sure what it is.  When I am taking pictures, I like to journey off the beaten path in order to see the trail less traveled.  On this day, that philosophy did not fail me.  I remember actually listening to BB King talk on the radio about past singers that he liked that used to sing with gospel groups (i.e. Sam Cooke).  Anyways, this picture also reminds me of the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou".  Do you not want to dive in and walk on this old road?  I came to this road on my way to the William Whitley House (next picture).  This picture is not edited...

 The next picture is of the William Whitley House.  This is the first brick house built in the state of Kentucky (c. 1790's).  Something kind of interesting...William Whitley's father name was Solomon.  While at Centre College, we always took Highway 150 hit I-75 if we had a game in Tennessee, North Carolina, or Georgia.  We past the sign for the William Whitley House, but I never stopped and checked it out.  It is a beautiful site if you ever get a chance to go.  It was closed on this day, but it would be interesting to take a tour of the home.  If you look closely, you will see two W's in the brick by the front door.  Can you imagine what it was like in the 1790's?  I bet you it was beautiful and peaceful.  Just to think that it survived the the American Civil War, weather, etc. is amazing. 

This picture below was taken in Perryville, KY (Boyle County).  The picture is of a Civil War era home built along the Chaplin River that runs through the heart of Perryville.  Perryville is a small town (Danville is the county seat), but is very historical because of the Battle of Perryville fought during the American Civil War.  I took this picture in color and put it in Black and White to get more of a feeling. This view is from Smith Street.  On the other side of the home is Highway 68.  Just imagine that a century ago that you could sit on the back porch and watch people navigating on the river to get to their location.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Solomon. You don't know me, but I work with Jessie. I have been with Lifeskills for 16 years and I got to meet you maybe twice before you moved on. I really love your pictures. They make me stop and think. The one with the water over the road makes me wonder if the road is still there, is the part of the road you can see the top of a hill and where the water is is the bottom. Does anybody remember why the road is now covered with water? What happened?? Like I said, your pictures make me think and wonder. I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete