Thursday, September 13, 2012

Maysville, Kentucky

Maysville, Kentucky will always have a special place in my heart.  Not only is it a historic river town, but also it is a place that forever changed my life in just 30 minutes.  On June 10, 2006, my college friend and his wife were married in Maysville.  This was the first time that I ever had ventured to the town.  The wedding was spectacular wedding that my friends and I still reference at times (from the crying baby to the crying groom...haha).  While at the reception, I wanted to sit with my friends, but by the time I got my food all the chairs at the table were gone.  So, a few of us sat at an adjacent table with random people that we did not know.  It was very evident that neither us nor the other people wanted to be at that table, but somehow we all ended up there.  There was hardly any conversation going on across the table.  One of my friends asked me about my line of work and I responded that I work with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities at Lifeskills in Bowling Green.  Then from across the table, a man overheard our conversation and we soon realized that we all were in the same line of work.  From that conversation, we exchanged contact information and well...as they say, the rest is history.

Sometimes, I like going back to Maysville and the surrounding areas to partake in its beauty and rich history.  It was one of the earlier settlements of Kentucky and important with its strategic location along the Ohio River for trading.  It also is home to an Underground Railroad Museum (which I hope one day to visit).   Last night, I took the opportunity to get a way on a beautiful evening for a couple of hours to enjoy a nice walk through downtown Maysville.  It was an extra treat to see the sunset at the Riverfront.  I hope that you enjoy the pictures.  If you are in Maysville, you have to check out one of my many favorite restaurants in Kentucky, Caproni's (the last picture featured on this post) and ask for a window seat so that you have a great view of the Ohio River.  The food is good too :).









 




No comments:

Post a Comment