Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dear Pops

Dear Pops,
I can't believe that it has been 6 years since we last saw each other.  It seems just like yesterday that I would see your smile, hear your voice, and give you a hug.  We all miss you.  Ashia is growing up to be a beautiful and intelligent young woman.  I can't believe that she is a Junior now.  By the way, she even has her first job now.  She is no longer the little girl that would get on everybody's nerves :-).  Mom is making it.  She misses you a lot.  She has even started doing foster care with children.  Tra is sprouting up like a weed.  Next year, he will be in High School.  Ashley is...well Ashley.  Nah, she is doing very well for herself.  You would be so proud of the woman that she become.  As for me, I am beyond blessed.  I have been able to travel, experience life, and even found new hobbies (dancing and photography).   I have met many a wonderful people along my journey within the last 6 years.  You would love to hear my stories from my experiences as well as meeting my friends and even my girlfriend (I know right, who'da thunk it???).  With that said though, I know you would be disappointed with me though in that I have not made it home as often as I should or going to church consistently.  I am sorry...I will do better.

There is something that I want to tell you.  "I Love You!!!"  I never got to tell you that in those last minutes that you were with us.  This is something that has bothered me since the day that you left.  I guess I was just too focused on the situation to notice that I would never get that opportunity again.  For a long time I wondered if there was more that I could have done that night.  Maybe thinking that I could have saved you, but I realize now that God had his plans for you.  Sometimes I wish I had 15 minutes to talk to you what I would say during that time.  Would I just listen to you, would I just hug you and cry, would I say that love you ,would I catch you up on things, or would I ask you for wisdom.  Then, reality sets in and I remember that I won't ever have that opportunity in this lifetime.  I hope that I have made you proud Pops.  I hope that I fulfilled the reason why you named me "Solomon James".  I pray that I continue to be the man that you helped me to become during our 24 years together on this earth.

Sometimes when I get down, I start to remember our times together.  One memory that stands out is the day that everyone came up to Centre for Parents Weekend back in 2003.  It was a dream that came true that you were able to come to the game.  I remember you coming in on the golf cart from the opposite end of the stadium as we were warming up during pregame.  I could never forget your smile and you wearing the shirt, "Think Big".  I was so happy that you came and watched me play.  Sometimes I read the article from that day or I will look at some pictures just to go back in time. Even now, thinking about that day and writing this letter has me emotional.  I miss you man.  I know that I am being selfish in saying this, but I wish you were still here.  

I guess I could write all evening man because there is so much to say.  Before I end this letter, I wanted to share with you some pictures that I took recently.  I hope that you enjoy them.  For some reason, I felt that you were with me when I took these pictures, especially the fourth one as I watched a sunset over the top of a ridge in rural Rowan County on yesterday evening.  As I close this letter and prepare emotionally for tomorrow in reliving your home-going, I guess it would only be fitting to say...I LOVE YOU, POPS!!!

Your Favorite Son,

Solomon








1 comment:

  1. Solomon,

    I have no doubt your father looks down every day with a smile! I know he's more than proud of you...you've accomplished so much and are a good man! You may not go to church every Sunday or make it home as often as you'd like but your heart is always in the right place. I believe, that even though he's not here on Earth in person, your father is always with you in spirit! He's there when you need a shoulder to cry on, need someone to listen, need wisdom in the midst of a storm...hence why you felt him in your presence when you took these gorgeous pictures. Your father knows how much you loved him then and still do now!

    Continue living a good and honorable life...and capturing those special moments!
    Season

    ReplyDelete