Thursday, March 3, 2011

Kentucky Roads On A Sunny Day

Hey there everyone.  Today I want to share pictures from my recent travels in Kentucky.  While driving back to London, I decided to take KY Highway 90 from Glasgow to Somerset.  Minus playing a basketball game in Cumberland County my junior year in high school, I have never been beyond the Tompkinsville intersection on Highway KY 90.  I love taking back roads to provide a change of scene from interstates and those who have traveled the Cumberland Parkway...I think you understand my point.  I took a whole lot of pictures as I stopped at various towns and attractions along the way.  The counties that I covered was Barren, Metcalfe, Cumberland, Clinton, Wayne, and Pulaski while on Hwy 90.  I know that with summer approaching that this route will be even prettier.

The first picture was taken in downtown Monticello, KY.  I have never seen a town where the center of the town is a statue and traffic goes around the downtown area (look at my KY 120 album to see what I am talking about).  When taking this picture, I was afraid that if I took a step back that I would have been ran over by the passing vehicles.  I took the picture of this Veterans statue using the silhouette setting on my camera.  My intent was to darken the statue and keep the background light.



The second picture was taken outside of Albany, Kentucky in Clinton County.  I had stopped to take pictures of the Hopkins School House (One Room Schoolhouse) and looked across the field and saw this barn.  I immediately started sulking because I did not have a camera lens to zoom in to get this picture.  I cut the original picture to take away the cable lines that were in the frame.  I chose this picture because it truly captures the essence of Kentucky as it borders the Appalachian Mountains.
 

The next picture was taken around Susie, KY in Wayne County.  While driving on KY Hwy 90, I saw this dilapidated home in the field and turned around to take the picture.  There was no other home near this site.  I took this picture in black and white to get the feeling of the home.  When looking at the picture, it makes me want to know when the house was built, who lived there, what was it like at its prime, did children live in the home, did they ever go sledding on the hill behind the home, and the history of the home.


I took the fourth picture on a barn at the Mill Springs Civil War Battle Site in Wayne County, KY.  I would love to go back to Mill Springs when the trees have bloomed because it was just simply gorgeous and peaceful without it.  The waterfalls off the hills at this site made it even more beautiful.  The park itself is closed until April, but it was still nice to walk through it.  I met a local woman who was walking around the park for exercise.  She was telling me of a nearby cannon that look onto Lake Cumberland.  During our conversation, she told me that she loved walking around the park for exercise, but also to enjoy God's Handy Work.  As for the picture, I am not sure how old the sign its, but I would assume that it is more than 50 years old, maybe even a 100 years old.  The sign was behind a home where Union generals stayed during the war.

Sometimes when I go to different places, I like take picture of historical signs so that I can look at them when upload my pictures rather than reading them while there.  This picture is of a sign on the porch of the Hopkins School in Clinton County.  When I initially took the picture, it was not one that stood out to me like the other ones above.  However, it was when I reviewed this picture on my computer that I felt that it was better than I had thought.

I apologize for this blog being choppy.  I could have went into more details about the trip, but that will accompany other pictures that I took during my journey :).  A special thanks to Melanie and her father for the suggestion of the signature / watermark on my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment