Thursday, March 10, 2011

Small Things - Louisville, KY

Good evening to all, I wanted to provide you all with a few of my pictures that I took recently while in Louisville.  As I continue to use the camera, I am trying to think more outside of the box when taking pictures.  The first picture is of a chandelier that was above the table we were sitting at in the Old Spaghetti Factory in downtown Louisville.  This picture is one of those lucky pictures and probably one of favorites from the pictures that I took that day.  I call this a lucky picture, because I had no idea how the picture would turn out or even a clue if it was focused correctly.  I sat the camera on the table to where I could not see the viewfinder (the camera looking up at the ceiling) and pressed the shutter button.  Once my girlfriend and I looked at the picture, we both automatically knew it was a good picture.


The second picture was taken at the Cathedral of the Assumption in downtown Louisville.  After leaving the midday mass, we walked around downtown and came back to take pictures.  If you have never been inside of this cathedral, I will recommend taking the time to step inside.  The view is merely breathtaking....very breathtaking.  The picture below was of a statue of what I think is the Virgin Mary.  At the urging of my girlfriend, I took the picture of the contrasting colors of the robe.  She liked the lines in the picture as well and the symbolism with the statue stepping on the serpent who is near the apple (Adam and Eve).  This picture is just a small capturing of the beauty of the sanctuary and the organ....wow.  I would really love to go back soon and take pictures, especially of the sun shining through the stained glass window.

The third picture was taken of tiles near an elevator at the Hyatt in Louisville.  We were walking along the Louie Link Sky Walk...it was freezing outside and well...I had forgot my jacket (sorry mom).  This picture captures the colors as they were hitting the wall.  I had to take a picture at an angle in order to get the light hitting off the tile...otherwise it was a dull picture.

The fourth picture is of the sign outside of the Church of the Assumption making the church as a historical landmark.  In taking this picture, I could not help for thinking about my friend Susan who loves fleur-de-lis.  I took this picture pretty much for that reason.  I did not think that the picture would have turned out as good as it did.  After taking this picture, I could not help for focusing in on the fleur-de-lis the rest of the day.


The last picture of the evening was taken looking up at a historical marker (from 1912) commemorating the site of Fort Nelson in Louisville, KY.  I liked the angle of this picture because it is a different perspective.  I liked the V representing the U in Kentucky.  This sign located near the Louisville Slugger museum and the Gault House can easily be overlooked....I think I did the first time we passed it.  I guess it shows how important history or events can go unnoticed and sometimes often forgotten.  I learned the Fort Nelson was the third settlement in Kentucky (after Harrodsburg and Washington), of which I did not know.  Fort Nelson was built in 1781 and named after the then governer of Virginia (since Kentucky was not officially at state at that time).  This marker and the park is built on what was then Fort Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment