Thursday, May 3, 2012

Richmond Battlefield Park

Good evening everyone.  At first, I wanted to just write about whatever, but I saw that most of the pictures that I wanted to post were apart of my "photo safari" on yesterday.  So, I am sharing a few pictures that I took at Richmond Battlefield Park in Richmond, KY.  When coming back from a training in Frankfort on yesterday, I wanted to take pictures because it was beautiful outside.  However, I wanted to find something that I had not already captured before, which is most places on I-75 from the Kentucky State Line to Lexington.  When talking with my girlfriend, she suggested the Richmond Battlefield Park located off of Exit 83 (Duncannon Lane).

By now, most people know that I love history, well, that may be an understatement.  I absolutely love history.  As my eighth grade history teacher Mrs. Raines always said, "History repeats itself; if you do not know where you came, you will not know where you are going."  One of the areas of history that I enjoy researching is the period from the end of War of 1812 to End of Reconstruction (1877).  The Battlefield Park preserves and recounts an important battleground of the American Civil War.  At the park, there is a walking trail that takes you behind the home at Pleasant View (they are currently restoring the home), pass a barn (pictures 5 & 6), and by two family cemeteries on the grounds.  One of the cemetery markers that I  recall seeing was that of a servant (slave) who was killed by the "stroke of lightning" in 1822 (I believe..don't quote me on that).  On a side note, much of the historic battlefield has been developed with a neighborhood and a golf course, but the markers at certain points of the property depicts what the scene looked like in 1862.

Right now, the Richmond Battlefield Park is preparing to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War Battle at the site.  As I was pulling up to the park, there was a truck in front me going into the park.  The whole time that I was behind the truck, I was thinking...'man, I wish this truck would go on somewhere so that I can get to where I was going faster'.  It was not until I was parked that I saw what the truck was pulling (picture #2).  Guess I need to not be in so much of a rush next time or I could miss...well, I could miss history.

As for my time at the park, other than my seasonal allergies acting up, I really enjoyed the park.  I felt a sense of peace in walking around the grounds.  I kept thinking back to what the area was like before, during, and after the battle.  I also thought about how this site was neglected for almost 100 years until a group thought it was important enough to preserve this important part of our history.  It made me reflect upon my life because it is true that my problems will not matter 100 years from now, but it is how I can positively impact at least one person's life that will.  Anyways, sorry for the soapbox...I hope that you enjoy the pictures below.  Thanks again for the continued supports with this blog.






 







No comments:

Post a Comment