Sunday, March 4, 2012

March 2, 2012

Good Sunday afternoon to all.  The pictures that I am sharing with you today were taken on March 2, 2012...the day of the tornadoes and massive destruction in several states.  My prayers goes out to the families and communities impacted by the storms (Henryville, IN, Magoffin County, West Liberty, and East Bernstadt...to name a few).  The thing that scared me about this day personally is that in most cases I would have been driving back to London around the time that the storms passed through Wood Creek Lake into East Bernstadt. While heading back from Morehead on Friday (3/2), I took pictures as I was heading back and while in Lexington in between storms.

The first two pictures below were taken in Winchester, KY.  When I saw the storms approaching, I knew that I had a small window of capturing the storm moving into the area.  This was the some of the cells that hit near West Liberty.  While I was in Winchester, the sirens were going off in the city.  Ha ha, not safe...I know, but I wanted to capture the moment.  The first picture is of the Sphar & Co. Puritan Field Seed building should not be unfamiliar with viewers on Facebook as I have captured the image before and posted it on there (circa 2010).  So, why did I choose the second picture?  I just thought with the potential for severe weather approaching the city that the phrase written by the American flag stood out more..."In God We Trust."



The third and fourth pictures were taken a mere 5 minutes before more storms started to come through Lexington.  The interesting thing about these shots is that they were taken nearly at the same time.  Picture #3 was taken while walking forward and Picture #4 was looking behind. 



The fifth picture was taken the morning of March 2nd (sorry, I lied earlier).  I wanted to capture the sun before it went into the clouds. 


The last picture is of a robin in the tree (taken between the storms coming through Lexington).  Even in the midst of the storm, there is peace and beauty.  This is a good sign that spring is around the corner (that and that trees have started budding).

No comments:

Post a Comment