Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Night Pictures - Franklin KY Vol. 2


Good evening to everyone.  Home is where the heart is and so tonight I share with you some night pictures that I took over the Memorial Day weekend while in Franklin.  The first three pictures were taken on Spraypaint Road (actually called Kummer Road).  For Franklin natives, Spraypaint Road is dear to Franklin as much as the Goodnight Auditorium or Octagon Hall.  For outsiders, it is merely a road in Southwest Simpson County that is about 2 miles long (from Springfield Road to Schweitzer Road) that is spray painted.  The lure?  Well...the lure is all of the stories that this road tells in writing and the stories that have occurred of people on this road (the unwritten stories).  Earlier in the year, I wrote a blog about this same site.

The first picture is of a tree along the road.  What I like most about this picture is that you can see the spray paint of the road (look at the bottom of the picture). In another picture I took of the perspective shows the light of the lightening bugs and a shooting star in the background, but it was told to me that those minor details would take away from the overall feel of the picture.


The second picture is not one of the best pictures that I took on Spraypaint Road, but it is an interesting picture.  I used a 1 minute exposure time, but as I started taking the picture a car passed.  So thinking that it was a messed up shot, I ended the exposure about 15 seconds after the car passed.  What occurred was a picture where the tree is lit up by the headlights of the vehicle and a background where you can see the stars as a result of the exposure time.  BTW, this was one of two cars that passed by the entire two hours while I was out on Spraypaint Road.


The third picture focuses on the little dipper via an angle of a tree.  If I had waited until about 1AM CST, I probably could have gotten an angle similar to the second picture with the dipper behind it.


The fourth picture was taken on Saturday Night out at Loving Chapel Baptist Church.  The picture is of a field to the side of the church.  What made this night very fun was that my nephew went out with me to take pictures.  It was fun explaining to him the concept of long exposures and the use of light in pictures.  It was also fun spending time with him as well.  Makes me realize how much I miss my family and how much I am missing out on being a part of their lives. 


The fifth picture is of Loving Chapel Baptist Church from the drive leading to the church.  Although the picture is over-exposed on the side (due to a light pole nearby), I feel that it still provides a good perspective of the church.  


This last picture is of the church as well.  As with the previous picture, I feel that the picture is borderline overexposed.  I do hope that at some point I can have the opportunity to go back out to Chapel and attempt these pictures again.  I would love to tinker with the color on the picture and adjust exposure times...but for now...here we go. 

2 comments:

  1. Whatever you may think of the quality of the photos, I find the post instructive since I'm trying to learn and to pick up this stuff any way I can. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 2nd and 4th pictures! You're so talented!! ~Season

    ReplyDelete