Thursday, May 26, 2011

Small Town Gas Stations / Stores

Good evening to everyone.  Tonight, I will continue with the running theme of Small Towns.  The focus of these pictures are of Gas Stations and Stores.  Why?  Well...why not?  Nah, to be honest, I thought of this theme because of the first picture tonight.  The Little Sack Grocery Store is near the Boonesborough Exit off of I-75.  I have passed this grocery store numerous of times as I have made various adventures on I-75.  The name itself is interesting (if you want to think of it in a twisted manner), but the picture itself takes you back to a time where small grocery stores and gas stations thrived on roads that were highly traveled or areas in communities where there was a need for services.  Given the economy, decrease in business, and other factors...we can potentially see some of these stores / gas stations that have been a permanent fixture in their respective communities cease to exist.


The second picture was taken in the community of Gold City in Simpson County, KY.  From an editing standpoint, I took the picture originally in color, but felt that there was something missing.  Therefore, I put the background in black and white and left the sign in its original color.


The third picture was taken in Fleming County, KY off of Highway 11.  This Grocery Store is located where the old road meets up with the new road.


The fourth picture was taken outside of Corbin, KY on Highway 25W.  The Brown Cow is similar to a Dairy Freeze.


 The fifth picture was taken in Railton, KY in Barren County.  I felt that this picture provides a feeling of an old general store for a small crossroads community.  This picture was taken using my Kodak Easy Share.


The last picture was taken from inside of Robert's Grocery in Sharpsburg, KY (Bath County).  Oh my my...what a story with this one.  Let's just say...it was an awesome day and experience that ended with three brothas in the back and a white lady with some hooch.  When we went on this day, they were finishing up their local Community Festival, which brought in many people into this small community.  I am adding this picture to tonight's blog because I feel that it provides an inside look into a small town grocery store that is a staple in a community, especially when the nearest Wal-Mart is 30 minutes away.  Do note the Ale-8-One in the background (Good Ole' Eastern Kentucky).  The fun thing about going to these small communities are the stories surrounding many off these pictures and trust me...there are stories.




2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my childhood in N.H. and riding our bikes to the store. You know the one--three candy bars and a pop for a quarter. Don't think it's held its character as well as these, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was said to see Roberts grocery going out of business....my husband worked there for four years in the deli department, and was the main spot and only spot to shop in Sharpsburg. We will miss it!

    ReplyDelete