Monday, April 18, 2011

Frankfort Cemetery

The pictures that I am sharing tonight were taken last week at the Frankfort Cemetery.  I know, I know, it is pretty creepy taking pictures in a cemetery, and trust me...I normally don't like to take pictures in a cemetery.  However, this cemetery possesses not only history, but also is simply beautiful.  If it was not for a dear friend that took me up there on a very nice fall day back in 2009, I would have never been enamored so much by this site to take the opportunity to go back and take pictures again.  The cemetery overlooks downtown Frankfort and the State Capitol.  Although I have not seen all of the sights of Frankfort, I will say that it one of the most gorgeous sites in Frankfort.  This cemetery is famous for interring the remains of Daniel and Rebecca Boone (although questionable) along with other notable residents of Kentucky.  The cemetery became in use on February 27, 1844. 

The first picture is of Daniel Boone's Grave.  According to Wikipedia (not a credible source, but a good start to find information): "In 1845, the Boones' remains were supposedly disinterred and reburied in a new cemetery in Frankfort, Kentucky. Resentment in Missouri about the disinterment grew over the years, and a legend arose that Boone's remains never left Missouri. According to this story, Boone's tombstone in Missouri had been inadvertently placed over the wrong grave, but no one had ever corrected the error. Boone's relatives in Missouri, displeased with the Kentuckians who came to exhume Boone, kept quiet about the mistake, and they allowed the Kentuckians to dig up the wrong remains. There is no contemporary evidence that this actually happened, but in 1983, a forensic anthropologist examined a crude plaster cast of Boone's skull made before the Kentucky reburial and announced that it might be the skull of an African American. Negro slaves had also been buried at Tuque Creek, so it is possible that the wrong remains were mistakenly removed from the crowded graveyard. Both the Frankfort Cemetery in Kentucky and the Old Bryan Farm graveyard in Missouri claim to have Boone's remains."  Interesting stuff, right?



The second picture is of a Confederate Soldier.  This momument is for the members of the Confederate Army that died during the war.  At the base of this monument, there is a circle of headstones surrounding the statue..


I took the third picture because it is the first time that I saw a Kentucky Historical Marker in Red.  Does anyone know why this marker is in red?  I will say that it is an interesting historical fact though...


The fourth picture is of a military monument commemerating the fallen soldiers in US wars prior to 1850 (i.e. Tippiecanoe and Blue Licks).  The memorial was built c. 1850.


The last picture is of the view from the Cemetery looking over downtown Frankfort, KY.  To the left, but out of the picture is the State Capitol.


I normally recommend for people to visit places that I have been because I know I have been amazed at all the beauty that is here in Kentucky or surrounding areas.  Most of these places are within an hour or two driving distance from where I live (or have lived).  With the cemetery, I will leave it to your discretion, but trust me...you will not be disappointed if you take a chance, like I did, to venture around the cemetery on a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment