Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snow DAZE

For those that know me, you all know that I am a borderline weather nerd / dork.  One of the sites that I love to follow is http://www.kyweathercenter.com/, especially during the winter months.  The meteorologist who does this website is usually very good with forecasting weather and dumbing it down for the weather dummies like me.  Anyways, today's theme is snow...simple as that.  I love the snow, but have a hard time taking pictures of snow scenes.  The first three pictures were taken with the Nikon D5000 and the last one was taken with the Kodak EasyShare.

The first picture was taken of a barn along Highway 358 in the western half of McCracken County.  The interesting thing about this picture is that I took it from the car that I was driving.  As I was coming around the curve, I saw this barn and slowed down to take the picture.  When I approached the barn, I startled the birds along the highway, which is how I captured them in this picture.  The interesting thing about this picture is that although I stopped the vehicle to take the picture there were two things that I did not count on that added even more to the picture.  1) the birds, 2) the fact that I forgot to change the shooting mode from Black and White to Color.  I took the picture with a higher Shutter Speed as I am trying to still get used to the various functions of the camera.


The second picture was taken in Ballard County along Highway 453 from Monkeys Eyebrow to Bandana.  I like this picture because of the barn but also the depth of the horizon, which adds an element of peace to the picture.


The next picture is of White Hall located outside of Richmond, KY.  The home was built in 1799.  This site is accessible via the Boonesborough / Winchester exit off I-75.  As with the Whitley Home, this home is interesting because it has survived for 211 years, which means that it made it through various weather, Civil War, depression, and just years of depreciation.  The home was built by Green Clay. A slaveowner, politician, surveyor, and cousin to Henry Clay, Green Clay who was believed to be one of the wealthiest men of his time.  Green Clay was the father to the famous abolitionist Cassius Clay.  Sadly, Cassius attended Transylvania, but graduated from Yale.  While at Yale, he became inspired of the antislavery movement when listening to a speech by William Lloyed Garrison.  Does anyone find it interesting that he became a famous figure during the anti-slavery movement, but yet his father as a very wealthy man and slaveowner?  I guess it shows that we can all hold keys to our own destiny.  Cassius Clay became a famous politician and even fell short of a bid for Vice Presidency for Abraham Lincoln's first tenure as president (he lost to Hannibal Hamlin).  Cassius Clay was also known as the Lion of White Hall.  His daughter Laura Clay, who was a famous women's rights activist, was born at this site as well.  She was the co-founder and first president of the Kentucky Equal Rights Association.  Also, Muhammad Ali's father was named after the famous abolitionist Cassius Marcellus Clay.  Sorry for the history lesson, but I find the White Hall site very interesting.  Many years I have passed this exit and saw the sign for the White Hall, but had no clue the history that was awaiting me if I had of ventured just 2 miles from the exit.  I can only imagine what this site is like when they weather is warmer.


The last picture was taken last year at Eagle Lake in Morehead, KY.  Eagle Lake is adjacent to Morehead State University.  I will have to say that during any point in the year that this site is beautiful and peaceful.  I remember that this day you could tell that the students at the university were sledding down the hill using a cardboard box.  I love this picture...it served as my desktop background for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment