Saturday, August 15, 2015

City Slickers Part 3

On a whim, my fiancée and I decided to drive to Red River Gorge to view the Perseids meteor shower, which peaked last Wednesday.  We were told one of the better places to view the night sky without a tree line obstruction was on the famous Half Moon Arch, which happens to be an unmarked trail.  Let me put on record that we are not even close to what you would call "hikers".  We had no legit flashlight and no compass-- just my photography equipment and the light beams from our two trusty iPhones.  Kids, do not try this at home.  We stepped out of the vehicle into a darkness that I have never been blanketed in.   All I could hear were crickets and cicadas as I recalled the zombie-survival skills from watching The Walking Dead.  After twenty forever-minutes, a half mile down the trail, and friendly greetings from other Perseids-viewers, we got to Half Moon Arch.  It is possible to continue past the arch for an amazing view point, but we were on the cliff side, and we've made deposits for our wedding, so we stopped where we were in order to keep safety first, and just looked up.  This is what we saw. 


The streak at the top center of the photo captured the path of a falling meteor.


No comments:

Post a Comment